Definition of thumbscrew in English:
1 (usually thumbscrews) An instrument of torture for crushing the thumbs.
- The other mutineers, after torture with thumbscrews, were whipped and had ashes, salt and pepper rubbed into their wounds.
- As he was walking past a ship chandler's shop, he was shocked to see handcuffs, leg shackles, and thumbscrews in the window.
- One is not bound to regard torture as only present in a mediaeval dungeon where the appliances of rack and thumbscrew or similar devices were employed.
2A screw with a protruding winged or flattened head for turning with the thumb and forefinger.
- As we can see from the rear shot, these panels are removed via thumbscrews and Phillips screws.
- In the Weaver-based sight pictured here, windage is adjusted by turning two, locking, Allen-head windage screws opposite the thumbscrew.
- With a large thumbscrew, you can adjust the lever pivot in or out and hence vary the leverage ratio.
Definition of thumbscrew in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia