adjective[attributive] British informal
Of an impressive size, extent, or amount: a thumping 64 per cent majority [as submodifier]: a thumping great lie
More example sentences
- The overwhelming majority of the population - a thumping 94 per cent - exchange presents.
- In one area, by the council's own admission, a thumping 70 per cent of homes are eschewing wheelie bins.
- In 1997 the Conservative majority was a thumping 11,600.
enormous, huge, massive, vast, very great, tremendous, substantial, goodly, prodigious, gigantic, giant, terrific, fantastic, colossal, immense, mammoth, monumental, stupendous, gargantuan, elephantine, titanic, mountainous, monstrous;
emphatic, roaring, decisive, conclusive, striking, impressive, outstanding, unmistakable, notable, noteworthy, memorable, remarkable, extraordinary, resounding, phenomenal;
complete, unqualified, out-and-out, thorough
informal whopping, whopping great, thundering, mega, jumbo, humongous, monster, astronomical, dirty great, rip-roaring
extremely, very, really, thoroughly, exceedingly, immensely, incredibly, amazingly, remarkably, exceptionally, uncommonly, extraordinarily, perfectly, truly, simply, positive, positively, downright;
informal terrifically, tremendously, seriously, majorly, dreadfully, terribly, awfully, fearfully, screamingly, thundering, right, ultra, mega, mucho, stonking, socking, oh-so, madly
British informal damn, damned, blasted, flaming, confoundedly, jolly, hellish, bloody, blooming, dead, well, dirty
South African informal lekker
- Example sentences
- How can he, who is to letter-writing as Ernie Wise was to play - writing, think that the newspaper reader is at all interested in his thumpingly boring opinions on every subject under the sun?
- This Cabernet Sauvignon from the Medoc wine-producing district of Bordeaux is very dry and thumpingly oaky, yet delicate.
- Once I would have thought the point above too thumpingly obvious to need making.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.