adjective[attributive] British informal
Of an impressive size, extent, or amount: a thumping 64 per cent majority [as submodifier]: a thumping great lie
More example sentences
- The overwhelming majority of the population - a thumping 94 per cent - exchange presents.
- In one area, by the council's own admission, a thumping 70 per cent of homes are eschewing wheelie bins.
- In 1997 the Conservative majority was a thumping 11,600.
enormous, huge, massive, vast, very great, tremendous, substantial, goodly, prodigious, gigantic, giant, terrific, fantastic, colossal, immense, mammoth, monumental, stupendous, gargantuan, elephantine, titanic, mountainous, monstrous;
emphatic, roaring, decisive, conclusive, striking, impressive, outstanding, unmistakable, notable, noteworthy, memorable, remarkable, extraordinary, resounding, phenomenal;
complete, unqualified, out-and-out, thorough
informal whopping, whopping great, thundering, mega, jumbo, humongous, monster, astronomical, dirty great, rip-roaring
extremely, very, really, thoroughly, exceedingly, immensely, incredibly, amazingly, remarkably, exceptionally, uncommonly, extraordinarily, perfectly, truly, simply, positive, positively, downright;
informal terrifically, tremendously, seriously, majorly, dreadfully, terribly, awfully, fearfully, screamingly, thundering, right, ultra, mega, mucho, stonking, socking, oh-so, madly
British informal damn, damned, blasted, flaming, confoundedly, jolly, hellish, bloody, blooming, dead, well, dirty
South African informal lekker
- Example sentences
- How can he, who is to letter-writing as Ernie Wise was to play - writing, think that the newspaper reader is at all interested in his thumpingly boring opinions on every subject under the sun?
- This Cabernet Sauvignon from the Medoc wine-producing district of Bordeaux is very dry and thumpingly oaky, yet delicate.
- Once I would have thought the point above too thumpingly obvious to need making.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: thump|ing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.