- Each of a number of flattened sacs inside a chloroplast, bounded by pigmented membranes on which the light reactions of photosynthesis take place, and arranged in stacks or grana: [as modifier]: thylakoid membranesMore example sentences
- Chloroplast envelopes, stacked grana and unstacked stroma thylakoids were well-defined.
- Affected leaf tissue is white and the plastids lack thylakoids and chlorophyll.
- The pigment proteolipids of thylakoids have both a photosynthetic function and a role in membrane structure.
1960s: from German Thylakoid, from Greek thulakoidēs 'pouch-like', from thulakos 'pouch'.
More definitions of thylakoidDefinition of thylakoid in:
- The US English dictionary