Definition of tiptoe in English:
verb (tiptoes, tiptoeing, tiptoed)[no object, with adverbial of direction]
1Walk quietly and carefully with one’s heels raised and one’s weight on the balls of the feet: Liz tiptoed out of the room
More example sentences
- Carefully tiptoeing around the edge, he finally touched the bookshelf.
- The actors were all in a circle, warming up as we quietly tiptoed into the room.
- ‘Sleep well,’ she whispered before tiptoeing quietly out of the room.
- 1on tiptoe (or tiptoes) (North American also on one's tiptoes)
- With one’s heels raised and one’s weight on the balls of the feet, especially in order to move quietly or make oneself taller: Jane stood on tiptoe to kiss himMore example sentences
- She stepped closer and raised herself on her tiptoes to kiss his cheek.
- She raised herself up on her tiptoes and gave him a kiss.
- ‘Mmm hmm,’ I said, ruffling it playfully like I had when we were kids, then standing on my tiptoes and kissing him lightly on the lips.
Definition of tiptoe in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.