- An hour later and I was beginning to tire after a long hard day.
- The teachers have an important role in the protection of children, but they too live in the same difficult, tiring and often very frightening or humiliating situation.
- Repairing people for a living can be rewarding but it's also is stressful, tiring and sometimes just awful.
- I skipped entire chapters, reading slices of sections until I tire of the plot.
- But all writer-actors say that until they tire of spending days alone with a computer.
- Bart tires of Homer's lack of interest in him and chooses another father from the Bigger Brother program.
- There's nothing to indicate he's lost stride or that he's tired or bored of his schtick.
- The voice was tired and bored, but not impolite.
- By the end of the third debate, his nine or 10 stock points had begun to lose their shine, and he began to appear like a weary salesman, tiring both himself and his audience with his spiel.
Old English tēorian 'fail, come to an end', also 'become physically exhausted', of unknown origin.
tyre from Late Middle English:
In the past wheelwrights strengthened the outside of the wheels of carts with curved pieces of iron plate called the tire, probably a shortened form of attire (an ME word originally meaning to put in order), because the tyre was the ‘clothing’ of the wheel. Originally the spellings tire and tyre were interchangeable, but in the 17th century tire became the settled spelling, which has remained the spelling in the USA. In Britain the development of the pneumatic tyre seemed to require some differentiation from the metal rim, and tyre was revived.
Words that rhyme with tireacquire, admire, afire, applier, aspire, attire, ayah, backfire, barbwire, bemire, briar, buyer, byre, choir, conspire, crier, cryer, defier, denier, desire, dire, drier, dryer, dyer, enquire, entire, esquire, expire, fire, flyer, friar, fryer, Gaia, gyre, hellfire, hire, hiya, ire, Isaiah, jambalaya, Jeremiah, Josiah, Kintyre, latria, liar, lyre, Maia, Maya, Mayer, messiah, mire, misfire, Nehemiah, Obadiah, papaya, pariah, peripeteia, perspire, playa, Praia, prior, pyre, quire, replier, scryer, shire, shyer, sire, skyer, Sophia, spire, squire, supplier, Surabaya, suspire, tier, transpire, trier, tumble-dryer, tyre, Uriah, via, wire, Zechariah, Zedekiah, Zephaniah
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: tire