verb[with object] Chemistry
- 1Ascertain the amount of a constituent in (a solution) by measuring the volume of a known concentration of reagent required to complete a reaction with it, typically using an indicator: the sample is titrated at a pH near 10 with EDTA solution titrate 25 cm3 of this solution against 0.10 M hydrochloric acidMore example sentences
- To determine the exact concentration, titrating the hydrochloric acid against a solution of base, for example sodium hydroxide, would be appropriate.
- Aliquots of the peptide solution were titrated to the micelle solution to reach a peptide-to-micelle molar ratio of 1: 220.
- This solution was titrated with the HSA fragment by adding small amounts of an ~ 0.3 mM protein solution in the aqueous buffer and recording the spectrum after incubation for a few minutes after each addition.
- 1.1 Medicine Continuously measure and adjust the balance of (a physiological function or drug dosage): each patient received intravenous diazepam and pethidine, the doses being titrated according to the responseMore example sentences
- In general, high doses of steroids are required, but the dosage is titrated against the response and kept to the lowest effective dose, given for as short a time as possible.
- Symptoms include abdominal discomfort, metallic taste, nausea, and diarrhea; these effects are generally transient and can be minimized by taking the drug with meals and titrating the dose slowly.
- The initial dose of ritodrine was 50 mg per minute, and then the dosage was titrated to contractions.
- More example sentences
- The relationship between titratable acidity and malic acid was less obvious.
- The sign and magnitude of the pK a shift of a particular titratable group is determined by the free energy to transfer it into the low-dielectric protein cavity, and by its interactions with polar residues in the protein.
- The only extra hydrogen bond that is formed involving titratable residues is between OG1 and OE2.
- More example sentences
- So if Plotkin is correct when he says that the titration was done in Philadelphia, this would mean that the vaccine fed in Africa was of unknown titre.
- The titration was done in Philadelphia and Courtois was told to dilute the material sixty-fold in order to reach the desired dose.
- The titrations were performed with various concentrations of TFE, SDS, and DPC.
late 19th century: from French titrer (from titre in the sense 'fineness of alloyed gold or silver') + -ate3.
More definitions of titrateDefinition of titrate in:
- The US English dictionary