Definition of toboggan in English:
A long, light, narrow vehicle, typically on runners, used for sliding downhill over snow or ice.
- Then, my daughter slid off the toboggan head first into a snow bank, and when I pulled her out she took from her mouth her first missing tooth.
- In snow, it drove like a toboggan, but with worse steering.
- However, it is not yet clear if the New Year will start on a sufficiently white note to allow children in the Republic to dust off their snowboards and toboggans.
verb[no object] (usually go tobogganing) Back to top
Slide downhill over snow on a toboggan: my kids love to go tobogganing in the park before Christmas dinner we tobogganed down a steep hill nearby
More example sentences
- The actress let out a scream as she tobogganed down a hill at the ski resort of Banff in Alberta, Canada.
- The three of us spent four weeks touring around Europe, ending up with friends in Austria, making snow men and tobogganing down the slopes!
- We went to New Hampshire for a long winter party weekend and at some point one evening decided to toboggan down the empty ski slope before the sun set.
- Example sentences
- He concentrated on the production of winter scenes, with skaters, sleighs, tobogganers, and people playing kolf (an early form of golf), which convey a sense of delight in the picturesque aspects of Dutch leisure in the 17th century.
- In winter it becomes a snowy playground where tobogganers sail down a 1,700-foot sledding track while others try out snowshoes or cross-country skis.
- Upon its completion in 1885 an invitation was extended to the neighbouring Davos tobogganers to come over for a race.
- Example sentences
- Skiers, snowboarders, cross-country skiing enthusiasts, tobogganists and strollers rejoice in winter.
- The people from Turnbull Drive were there to complain about mysterious fireworks, shy lovers who shoot out street lights, and suicidal tobogganists as well as nutters who off-road in family sedans.
- Who needs sledging when you have got a team of tobogganists in your own head.
Definition of toboggan in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.