Definition of tolerable in English:
1Able to be endured: a stimulant to make life more tolerable
More example sentences
- I've spoken to the planning department, but they have said the difference is within a tolerable level, so they are not prepared to do anything about it.
- Numbers have leapt to 30 times the level considered tolerable in some of the worst affected areas of the city.
- This isn't a real solution, though, as it's not enough to get the infantry overstretch down to tolerable levels.
1.1Fairly good; mediocre: he was fond of music and had a tolerable voice
More example sentences
- But then Nicole arrives looking simply delicious, and her voice is tolerable enough.
- The voice acting is actually tolerable for the most part, unlike most other games.
- She has an indefinable screen presence that makes even her poorest scenes tolerable.
fairly good, passable, adequate, all right, acceptable, good enough, sufficiently good, sufficient, satisfactory, moderately good, not (too) bad, average, fair, decent, respectable, presentable;
mediocre, middling, ordinary, run-of-the-mill, workaday, indifferent, unremarkable, undistinguished, unexceptional, amateur, amateurish
informal OK, so-so, fair-to-middling, nothing to write home about, no great shakes, not up to much, not much cop, bog-standard, vanilla, plain vanilla
New Zealand informal half-pie
- Example sentences
- Duration of treatment varied from six weeks to 10 years; shorter trials assessed symptomatic control and tolerability, and longer trials assessed disease progression and mortality.
- Overall tolerability was similar between the two classes of drugs, but atypical agents caused fewer extrapyramidal side effects.
- This will reduce ‘trial and error’ prescribing and improve the efficacy and tolerability of medicines.
- [as submodifier]: the welfare state works tolerably wellMore example sentences
- It is, in fact, a relatively secular, tolerably cosmopolitan place - and it is rich.
- Even landless labourers could manage tolerably well within this system.
- He seems tolerably well qualified to be writing about this sort of thing.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan