Definition of tomato in English:
noun (plural tomatoes)
1A glossy red, or occasionally yellow, pulpy edible fruit which is eaten as a vegetable or in salad.
- I make salad with avocados, tomato, lettuce and spring onions, with an olive oil and red wine dressing.
- Lycopene is one of the pigments that colour tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables red, orange or yellow.
- So now I'm having a bet each way, with a warm salad of aubergine, tomato and mozzarella.
1.1 [mass noun] The bright red colour of a ripe tomato: she got into the tomato Mini and drove away [as modifier]: a tomato red sweatshirt
More example sentences
- Unlike Chinese red, tomato red is not quite as bright, having more orange and white than does a true bright red.
- Shana's face darkened from pale pink to tomato red in a matter of seconds.
- My face turned an unattractive shade of tomato red, clashing with my hair.
2The South American plant of the nightshade family which produces the tomato. It is widely grown as a cash crop and many varieties have been developed.
- Lycopersicon esculentum, family Solanaceae
- They discussed some tips for planting summer crops like tomatoes and capsicums.
- I personally think if you can only grow two plants it should be a pot of tomatoes and a pot of basil.
- In the garden at the back my aunt grew tomatoes, greens and lettuces.
- tomatoey adjective
- Example sentences
- I think I'm going to try and make them into a tomatoey sauce.
- It is leftover chickeny tomatoey pasta from Thursday.
- A speciality not to miss is the simple but delicious spaghetti alla vongole - spaghetti with clams - and not a drop of tomatoey gloop in sight.
Early 17th century: from French, Spanish, or Portuguese tomate, from Nahuatl tomatl.
Words that rhyme with tomatoagitato, Ambato, castrato, esparto, inamorato, legato, moderato, obbligato (US obligato), ostinato, pizzicato, rubato, staccato, vibrato, Waikato
Definition of tomato in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.