Definition of tonalite in English:
noun[mass noun] Geology
A coarse-grained plutonic rock consisting chiefly of sodic plagioclase, quartz, and hornblende or other mafic minerals: fields of tonalite [count noun]: the margins are invaded by mantle-derived tonalites
More example sentences
- Permian and Triassic plutonic complexes comprise monzonite, granite, granodiorite or tonalite with minor gabbro and diorite.
- There are enormous intrusions into many of these terrains; layered anorthosites, dyke swarms of basalts, and complexes of tonalite or diorite intrusions also occur.
- These plutons generally contain a variety of rock types, ranging from appinites and diorites through tonalites, granodiorites and rare syenites to ademellites and granites.
late 19th century: from Tonale Pass, northern Italy, + -ite1.
- Example sentences
- The Archaean Baidrag complex, composed of tonalitic gneiss, granulite and amphibolite, with minor marble and quartzite, has been interpreted as a microcontinental block.
- In general, the strain intensity is commonly considerably higher in the granodiorite dykes than in the tonalitic wall-rock gneisses, which probably reflects strain localization into the dykes.
- Of these, the vast majority comprise late Archaean tonalitic gneiss with various mafic, ultramafic and metasedimentary enclaves, collectively known as ‘grey gneiss’.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan