A phoneme distinguished from another only by its tone.
- The pinyin is so far the optimal system in representing the phonemes and tonemes of Chinese.
- With Chinese languages, the phonemes and tonemes can be counted in many different ways, and the number of finals that can be distinguished is often difficult to determine.
- Languages that make use of tonemes are called tonal languages.
- Example sentences
- This new research indicates that there may be some sort of tonemic opposition in Haloze.
- Because of neutralizing forces of Korean tones mentioned above, the kind of tonemic patters are extremely restricted.
1920s: from tone, on the pattern of phoneme.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ton¦eme
Definition of toneme in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.