Definition of tongs in English:
plural noun(also a pair of tongs)
1An instrument with two movable arms that are joined at one end, used for picking up and holding things: sugar tongs
More example sentences
- Once in the door you'll be straight over to the hearth, emptying ashes and raking dead coals, scooping up briquettes of turf with a pair of tongs and stacking them up.
- I attacked the bowl of molluscs using a great technique I was once taught for eating mussels without cutlery, by using an empty shell as a finger-sized pair of tongs.
- Hold them in a Bunsen burner flame with a pair of tongs.
2 short for curling tongs.
- See, in order to get my fine, straight hair to even vaguely do the bouffant standing-up thing, Tony had had to go at me with hairdryer and tongs and more hairspray than you might see at the average Miss World contest.
- Lock away heated styling accessories, such as tongs, straighteners and hair dryers, during the hot summer months.
- Using hairdryers and ceramic straightening tongs needn't be serious, as long as you put the moisture back.
Definition of tongs in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan