Either of two small masses of lymphoid tissue in the throat, one on each side of the root of the tongue.
- Oral cancers occur in the mouth and the back of the throat, the tonsil, tongue, lip and voice box.
- Sometimes surgery is needed to remove tonsils or extra tissue from the throat.
- The major parts of the system are the bone marrow, spleen, thymus gland, lymph nodes, and the tonsils.
- Example sentences
- There was cerebral edema with slight uncal and cerebellar tonsillar prominence without frank herniation.
- Clinically, the patient had an extensive ulcerating tonsillar tumour involving the right-sided soft palate, posterior buccal mucosa and posterior tongue base.
- Obesity, tonsillar hypertrophy, neuromuscular disease, and a craniopharyngeal anomaly are risk factors present during wakefulness but do not invariably produce obstructive sleep apnea.
Late 16th century: from French tonsilles or Latin tonsillae (plural).
Words that rhyme with tonsilconsul, proconsul
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ton¦sil
Definition of tonsil in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.