Definition of top dressing in English:
An application of manure or fertilizer to the surface layer of soil or a lawn: he gave most of the plot another top dressing last month rake or hoe in a top dressing of fertilizer figurative he put a top dressing of grandeur on his career
More example sentences
- The compost can be used as mulch around plants, as a top dressing over your lawn which can fertilise the soil, or as a soil improver in vegetable or flower beds.
- Some sites were completely excavated and refilled with fresh compost and soil; others receive top dressing with 2 feet of compost.
- Then walk up and down the lawn pulling the device and smoothing out the mounds while top dressing the lawn at the same time.
- Example sentences
- Finish pruning and top-dress fruit trees, shrubs and brambles with well-rotted manure or compost.
- Use the small marbles to top-dress your lawn, or mulch roses, vegetables or flower beds.
- Rake up the cores and top-dress with a fine mulch, such as compost.
Definition of top dressing in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan