Definition of toponymy in English:
The study of place names.
- I am certain I'm not the only lover of words and etymology around here (oh and toponymy, too!)
- The mapping authenticated indigenous toponymy in Darien.
- The methods employed in this project are easy to use, making them helpful to local communities involved in toponymy and other mapping projects.
late 19th century: from Greek topos 'place' + onuma 'name'.
- Example sentences
- Here's hoping that his misrendering of toponymic shibboleths is the worst damage they suffer.
- In the main variant, the legend relies both on the sniggeringly received news of the defeat of the father's expectation and on the mangling of the English language - a grammatically incorrect sentence with toponymic consequences.
- Another excellent example of toponymic work is the Gazetteer of Inuit Place Names in Nunavik, undertaken with the cooperation of the Inuit elders of Nunavik and the Avataq Cultural Institute.
Definition of toponymy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan