(also tortrix moth)
Definition of tortrix in English:
noun (plural tortrices ˈtrɪsiːz)
A small moth with typically green caterpillars that live inside rolled leaves and can be a serious pest of fruit and other trees.
- Family Tortricidae: many species, including Pammene rhediella, whose larvae damage apple and plum trees
- MLEs were detected in the summer fruit tortrix Adoxophyes orana fasciata and the tea tortrix Homona magnanima, but no MLEs were detected in the parasitoid wasp Ascogaster quadridentata.
- Sugar pine tortrix larva with ivory colored spots, easily confused with western spruce budworm.
- The natural enemies can play an essential role in the regulation of the tortrix moths population dynamics.
tortricid noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- This complex of pest species includes tortricid leafrollers, noctuid fruitworms and cutworms, and gracillarid leafminers.
- Among the species responsible for such early spring herbivory were 6 species of tortricid leaf-roller caterpillars, primarily Clepsis melaleucana, and a European slug, Arion subfuscus (Draparnaud).
- Our studies have demonstrated it is possible to simultaneously disrupt pheromone communication and mating in sympatric tortricid moths by releasing an incomplete mixture of their individual pheromone components.
Words that rhyme with tortrixadministratrix • oryx
Definition of tortrix in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.