Definition of totalitarian in English:
Relating to a system of government that is centralized and dictatorial and requires complete subservience to the state: a totalitarian regime
More example sentences
- We usually connect propaganda to totalitarian regimes and undemocratic societies.
- More often, in fact, they are foot soldiers of totalitarian regimes and of mob rule.
- Everywhere that people lived under totalitarian dictatorships, they felt he was one of them.
nounBack to top
A person advocating a totalitarian system of government: most totalitarians seem afraid of the spirit of science
More example sentences
- Shakespeare thus places himself between utopian totalitarians and libertarian fundamentalists.
- We are radicals - not extremists and totalitarians.
- Twentieth-century totalitarians - fascists and communists - felt constrained to bow toward popular sovereignty with plebiscitary forms.
- Example sentences
- A second major interpretation, popular during the Cold War, saw fascism as totalitarianism.
- Right-wing governments can't do totalitarianism as such because it conflicts with their professed ideology.
- They shared a more democratic outlook, including a healthy hatred of fascist totalitarianism.
Pronunciation: /təʊˌtalɪˈtɛːrɪənɪz(ə)m/ /təˌtalɪˈtɛːrɪənɪz(ə)m/noun
Words that rhyme with totalitarianagrarian, antiquarian, apiarian, Aquarian, Arian, Aryan, authoritarian, barbarian, Bavarian, Bulgarian, Caesarean (US Cesarean), centenarian, communitarian, contrarian, Darien, disciplinarian, egalitarian, equalitarian, establishmentarian, fruitarian, Gibraltarian, grammarian, Hanoverian, humanitarian, Hungarian, latitudinarian, libertarian, librarian, majoritarian, millenarian, necessarian, necessitarian, nonagenarian, octogenarian, ovarian, Parian, parliamentarian, planarian, predestinarian, prelapsarian, proletarian, quadragenarian, quinquagenarian, quodlibetarian, Rastafarian, riparian, rosarian, Rotarian, sabbatarian, Sagittarian, sanitarian, Sauveterrian, sectarian, seminarian, septuagenarian, sexagenarian, topiarian, Trinitarian, ubiquitarian, Unitarian, utilitarian, valetudinarian, vegetarian, veterinarian, vulgarian
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan