(Especially in the UK) the elected governing body in a municipality.
- Several other councillors said the town council should add its full backing to the festival.
- He had been a member of the US-backed town council and had eschewed incitements of violence.
- He had been elected onto the town council at the local elections in May last year.
town councillor noun
- Example sentences
- As I have said before, there is no alliance between the Liberal Democrats and me as an Independent Otley town councillor.
- Susan was recently nominated to be a prospective Conservative town councillor, on top of her work with the parish council.
- My grandad served as a Labour town councillor between governments.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: town coun|cil
Definition of town council in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.