Definition of toxaemia in English:
1Blood poisoning by toxins from a local bacterial infection.
- Almost immediately, they stumble into a raw spectrox nest that quickly infects them with spectrox toxemia - an almost incurable, fatal disease.
- The patient often became severely ill from the general manifestations of infection - fever, rigors, and toxaemia - and was very likely to die when this occurred.
- The classic textbook description of acute haematogenous osteomyelitis includes severe pain, fever, and toxaemia.
1.1 (also toxaemia of pregnancy) another term for pre-eclampsia.
- It may also be called toxemia or pregnancy-induced hypertension.
- Moreover, no significant differences in infant growth were noted between the presence/absence of toxemia during pregnancy, cesarean section, and smoking habit.
- During her second pregnancy his wife, Shelley, developed toxemia; the couple awaited the new baby's birth with trepidation.
- Example sentences
- The second or toxemic stage of pertussis follows relatively nonspecific symptoms of the colonizaton stage.
- Dr. Lueck observed the organism in the placental tissue of toxemic mothers and identified it in the circulating blood of toxemic patients.
- When used in hemodialysis, it is part of an artificial kidney system for the treatment of patients with renal failure or toxemic conditions and provides access to a patient's blood for hemodialysis.
Definition of toxaemia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.