Definition of toxaemia in English:
1Blood poisoning by toxins from a local bacterial infection.
- Almost immediately, they stumble into a raw spectrox nest that quickly infects them with spectrox toxemia - an almost incurable, fatal disease.
- The patient often became severely ill from the general manifestations of infection - fever, rigors, and toxaemia - and was very likely to die when this occurred.
- The classic textbook description of acute haematogenous osteomyelitis includes severe pain, fever, and toxaemia.
1.1 (also toxaemia of pregnancy) another term for pre-eclampsia.
- It may also be called toxemia or pregnancy-induced hypertension.
- Moreover, no significant differences in infant growth were noted between the presence/absence of toxemia during pregnancy, cesarean section, and smoking habit.
- During her second pregnancy his wife, Shelley, developed toxemia; the couple awaited the new baby's birth with trepidation.
- Example sentences
- The second or toxemic stage of pertussis follows relatively nonspecific symptoms of the colonizaton stage.
- Dr. Lueck observed the organism in the placental tissue of toxemic mothers and identified it in the circulating blood of toxemic patients.
- When used in hemodialysis, it is part of an artificial kidney system for the treatment of patients with renal failure or toxemic conditions and provides access to a patient's blood for hemodialysis.
Definition of toxaemia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan