Definition of trabeation in English:
The use of beams in architectural construction, rather than arches or vaulting.
- They refer to windows as ‘glazing’ or ‘fenestration’ and a beam or lintel as ‘trabeation’… Nothing is simply flat, it's ‘planar’ instead.
- These include parts of a cornice and trabeation with sculpted round loaves of bread and a large travertine block incised to look like a wicker basket.
- On the same occasion the cornice and the trabeation were repaired by means of cement mortar.
- Example sentences
- This constant oscillation in the reading of figure-ground is heightened further by the memory of the trabeated system to which the Doric columns allude.
- That is, the interpretation of the Acropolis as an archetypal composition of primary building types: the Parthenon, a trabeated temple (columns and beams), and the Erechtheum, a building composed of walls.
- The cross section is typical or Addison's work - playing flame against wall and screen, through bays receding from and projecting beyond the beams and columns of a trabeated structure.
Definition of trabeation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.