Definition of trabeation in English:
The use of beams in architectural construction, rather than arches or vaulting.
- They refer to windows as ‘glazing’ or ‘fenestration’ and a beam or lintel as ‘trabeation’… Nothing is simply flat, it's ‘planar’ instead.
- These include parts of a cornice and trabeation with sculpted round loaves of bread and a large travertine block incised to look like a wicker basket.
- On the same occasion the cornice and the trabeation were repaired by means of cement mortar.
- Example sentences
- This constant oscillation in the reading of figure-ground is heightened further by the memory of the trabeated system to which the Doric columns allude.
- That is, the interpretation of the Acropolis as an archetypal composition of primary building types: the Parthenon, a trabeated temple (columns and beams), and the Erechtheum, a building composed of walls.
- The cross section is typical or Addison's work - playing flame against wall and screen, through bays receding from and projecting beyond the beams and columns of a trabeated structure.
Definition of trabeation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan