Definition of tracing in English:
1A copy of a drawing, map, or design made by tracing.
- Leonardo's mural, with its tracings and smaller copies, is a locus of essential religious and aesthetic meanings, a virtual communion between art and life.
- It might be that Lady Seated at the Virginals is a composite of tracings of parts of images onto planes at different distances and with different positions of the lens.
- These were photographed and tracings were made to depict the location of mechanical support tissue.
2A faint or delicate mark or pattern: tracings of apple blossoms against the deep greens of pines
More example sentences
- It was made of dark, polished oak, with delicate tracings of bright silver describing a swirling pattern along its length.
- There were faint, white tracings against tan skin where the scars should have been.
- On the canvass a chalk preliminary had already been sketched out: a faint tracing depicting the old chair and bucket with the window behind them.
2.1 [mass noun] The action of marking out a figure on the ice when skating.
2.2A line or pattern corresponding to something which is being recorded or measured; a trace.
- Figure 2 shows the individual values of the main parameters and Figure 3 depicts representative tracings in a typical patient.
- Retrospectively, we looked at airway flow tracings, identifying the start of slow inflation.
- Figures 1 and 2 depict various tympanogram tracings based on variations of the original Liden and Jerger classifications.
Words that rhyme with tracingbracing, casing, facing, lacing, placing, self-effacing, spacing
Definition of tracing in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan