Definition of trampoline in English:
A strong fabric sheet connected by springs to a frame, used as a springboard and landing area in doing acrobatic or gymnastic exercises. See also rebounder (sense 1).
- I felt like if he snapped his fingers, I would turn some wicked somersaults, spring off a trampoline, and dive into a routine directly from the page of a gymnastics handbook.
- And the community child federation has asked all parents to stop hogging up playtime on the various trampolines throughout the area.
- Both guys were jumping on the regular bed, which evidently belonged to Todd, because they had already put their sheets on the two bunks and their new trampoline had no sheets at all.
verb[no object] (usually as noun trampolining) Back to top
1Do acrobatic or gymnastic exercises on a trampoline as a recreation or sport: his hobby is trampolining
More example sentences
- This will include the development of such spin-offs of this sport as aerobics, sports dancing and trampolining.
- Every Monday she teaches them juggling, acrobatics, trampolining, tumbling, trapeze work, stilt-walking and gumboot dancing.
- ‘When I was younger I did gymnastics and trampolining and then I used to horse-ride loads,’ she said.
1.1 [no object, with adverbial of direction] Leap or rebound from something with a springy base: she trampolined across the bed
More example sentences
- His second shot bounced off the roof of the temporary stands, then trampolined off another tent.
- Shockingly she used her umbrella as a shield and said snowball simply trampolined off the umbrella and broke on the ground.
- He jumped off the table to the mattress, trampolined off that to the Gold Mountain trunk and onto the chair.
- Example sentences
- Top gymnasts, acrobats and trampolinists from France and Russia are entertaining enthusiastic audiences during their current exhibition tour across France.
- She is also a capable gymnast, trampolinist and javelin thrower.
- As we talk, a high-bouncing trampolinist periodically soars to window-level view from the piazza below.
Words that rhyme with trampolineEmmeline • tourmaline
Definition of trampoline in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan