Definition of transfect in English:
verb[with object] Microbiology
1Infect (a cell) with free nucleic acid: cells were transfected by electroporation
More example sentences
- MC57 cells were also transfected by electroporation and selected in 1.2 mg/ml G418.
- Cells were grown to a density of 5 x 10 cells/ml and transfected by electroporation.
- Schneider cells were seeded onto cover slips and after 24 hr the cells were transfected with plasmid pBSHS-Fl d.
1.1Introduce (genetic material) by infecting a cell with free nucleic acid.
- It was known that there were certain ‘poison sequences’ which might exist upstream of the encoding area of the gene, which would be desirable to remove before transfecting the gene into COS cells.
- PUVA-damaged and undamaged DNA was transfected into a yeast strain containing the ADE2 gene regulated by a p53-responsive promoter.
- I have purified, cloned, sub-cloned, transfected, blotted and detected DNA.
- 1transfectant noun
- Example sentences
- Stable transfectants with this hypoxia-responsive vector were established using G418 selection for 10 days.
- At 1 ng/ml MMC, no statistically significant difference was observed between wild-type, mutant and vector transfectants.
- The antibiotic-resistant colonies were isolated, and a second selection was performed to identify and isolate the transfectants with the highest luciferase expression.
- 2transfection noun
- Example sentences
- Now I have a little time before I have to go to a talk, and I'm trying to decide if I should do another set of transfections and start another gel.
- So, I celebrated by teaching her how to do a transfection, and then we went to lunch and talked about the goods and bads of science, very openly.
- Cells with double transfections show varying ratios of the species included in the cotransfection but never the species missing from the cotransfection.
Definition of transfect in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.