Definition of transformer in English:
1An apparatus for reducing or increasing the voltage of an alternating current.
- LED lights require a transformer to turn alternating current to direct current.
- The circuit keeps interrupting itself in this way, gradually boosting voltage through the transformer.
- Remember, you can only plug mains voltage lighting into an external socket as low voltage lighting requires a transformer and currently most transformers are not suitable for outside use.
2A person or thing that transforms something: the great transformer of mankind
More example sentences
- He is known as a daring innovator in science, as an indefatigable researcher and as a great transformer of nature.
- He himself admires Peter the Great, the legendary but tyrannical transformer of 18th-century Russia.
- Earth is also the great transformer of chi often serving as a transition between two other elements.
Definition of transformer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan