(also transition element)
- Any of the set of metallic elements occupying a central block (Groups IVB-VIII, IB, and IIB, or 4-12) in the periodic table, e.g. iron, manganese, chromium, and copper. Chemically they show variable valency and a strong tendency to form coordination compounds, and many of their compounds are coloured.More example sentences
- Manganese as a transition metal, one of the elements that occur in the middle of the periodic table in Rows 4, 5, and 6 between Groups 2 and 13.
- Iron and copper are the transition metal ions that are involved in the catalytic process of ROS generation.
- Tungsten is a transition metal, one of the elements that occupy the middle of the periodic table.
More definitions of transition metalDefinition of transition metal in:
- The US English dictionary