verb (transmogrifies, transmogrifying, transmogrified)[with object] chiefly humorous
Transform in a surprising or magical manner: his home was transmogrified into a hippy crash pad
More example sentences
- Yet how this common set of tropes unfolds is hardly familiar, totally transmogrifying a well-worn stone of a concept into a profoundly deep theatrical gem.
- It, however, proves the pertinent fact that, if you have the financial power, you can transmogrify a nation of persecuted people into villains and a bunch of terrorists into heroes.
- Like infesting alien pods, American culture threatens to transmogrify the planet, as the speaker put it, into one big New Jersey.
- Example sentences
- She's about 15, and she's going through that evil transmogrification that all teenage girls go through, where they grow scales and can breathe fire.
- This transmogrification is mainly government-induced.
- They are a reaction to oppression - or at least a transmogrification of the angry white male into the docile white wimp.
Pronunciation: /tranzˌmɒɡrɪfɪˈkeɪʃ(ə)n/ Pronunciation: /trɑːnzˌmɒɡrɪfɪˈkeɪʃ(ə)n/ Pronunciation: /transˌmɒɡrɪfɪˈkeɪʃ(ə)n/ Pronunciation: /trɑːnsˌmɒɡrɪfɪˈkeɪʃ(ə)n/noun
Mid 17th century: of unknown origin.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: trans|mog¦rify
Definition of transmogrify in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.