1The flat surface forming the stern of a boat.
- The sheer of the B40 is slightly flatter, the transom more vertical and broader, and the bow slightly less spoon-shaped.
- The Bertram 31 and its prototype were designed with a remarkable 23-degree angle of deadrise at the transom with three lifting strakes on each side from the keel to the chine.
- With six of us now in the boat, the low transom and failed bilge pump is worrying, but we dive anyway.
1.2A strengthening crossbar, in particular one set above a window or door. Compare with mullion.
- The head casing that separates the transoms from the French doors runs at the same 7-foot height around the entire space, blending with the built-in bookshelves.
- Pairs of narrow French doors topped with transoms line one wall of the main room, offering easy access to the deck and playing up the room's dramatic vaulted ceiling.
- Puddling style draperies over the windows and original shutters control light, and transoms over the doors help the air to circulate.
1.3 US term for transom window.
- Entries often showcase glass in the door, plus sidelights and transoms (windows over the door).
- If the doors and the transoms above weren't exactly the right height, you'd have a totally different feeling.
- Curtain walls, sliding doors, transoms, and more can be finished in dark bronze or clear anodized and painted bronze or white.
over the transom
- North American informal Offered or sent without prior agreement; unsolicited: the editors receive about ten manuscripts a week over the transomMore example sentences
- But once everyone adjusts, those couple hundred emails will mean nothing more than the couple dozen letters that might have physically come in over the transom in the old days.
- I get a lot of stuff over the transom, and this year I am going to do my best to thank everyone who's contributed material to the site.
- An apology came over the transom about an hour later.
- Example sentences
- Rear has former double chamfered mullioned and transomed windows with hoodmould over in cross-wing.
- The rear has double chamfered mullioned and transomed windows with plainer chamfered mullions.
- The house is built of local sandstone with tall chimneys, pointed gables and mullioned and transomed windows.
Words that rhyme with transomhansom, ransom, Ransome
Definition of transom in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.