noun[mass noun] Christian Theology
- The conversion of the substance of the Eucharistic elements into the body and blood of Christ at consecration, only the appearances of bread and wine still remaining. Compare with consubstantiation.More example sentences
- In the Roman Catholic church, as I understand it, transubstantiation means that the bread is literally the body of Christ, and the wine is literally the blood of Christ, as you ingest it.
- For some reason the Roman Catholic belief in transubstantiation came up.
- In 1562 the Eucharist was discussed, and a doctrine of transubstantiation affirmed against all varieties of Reformation Eucharistic theology.
More definitions of transubstantiationDefinition of transubstantiation in:
- The US English dictionary