Definition of transversal in English:
(Of a line) cutting a system of lines.
- A faint transversal line may indicate the posterior border of the seventh sternite.
- After storage, thick transversal sections were made with a razor blade.
- Radiating and transversal markings common on internal surface of valves or on steinkerns.
nounBack to top
A transversal line.
- The construction consisted of orthogonals, transversals, horizon line and vanishing point.
- A partnership who manage to erase all three of their strokes before the other side have erased any get a monk's cross, which counts as two crosses and is chalked with two transversals.
- From the vertices of ABC drop perpendiculars on the transversal.
- Example sentences
- His essay, ‘The Three Ecologies,’ is only 42 pages long, but the translators' notes and introduction take up 57 pages, and the editor's essay on his ‘transversality’ another 54.
- In the idea of ‘dissensus’, the author acknowledges and advocates individual competence as a social force that can precipitate the kind of initiation essential to transversality.
- His work on topology, in particular on characteristic classes, cobordism theory and the Thom transversality theorem led to his being awarded a Fields medal in 1958.
- Example sentences
- Lateral surfaces of the centrum longitudinally concave and transversally rounded, one foramen on each side.
- This latter character can be seen only in one of the vertebrae that is transversally broken.
- Moreover, the contingencies of historiography can provide scholars with the opportunity to transversally engage with their subject material.
Words that rhyme with transversaldisbursal, dispersal, Purcell, rehearsal, reversal, succursal, tercel, traversal, universal
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan