Definition of trephine in English:
A hole saw used in surgery to remove a circle of tissue or bone.
- The bone marrow aspirate was similar to the trephine, with 15% of blasts showing monocytoid differentiation together with an absolute monocytosis and mild dyserythropoiesis.
- An instrument that acts like a cookie cutter, called a trephine, cuts a precise circular shape.
- In 2 cases, a bone marrow trephine biopsy was also available for examination.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Example sentences
- However - remarkably and inexplicably - the earliest major surgery of which we have undoubted evidence is trephination of the skull, which dates back to at least 5000 BC in the Stone Age period.
- He excelled in both, as a professor of surgery at the Bicetre in Paris and as a noted anthropologist dealing with a plethora of subjects, including the Cro-Magnon man and Neolithic trephination.
- Reports of trepanation (or trephination) have been spotty throughout history, but there is little doubt of its existence dating back to Neolithic times.
Definition of trephine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan