Definition of triangle in English:
1A plane figure with three straight sides and three angles: an equilateral triangle
More example sentences
- Cross-sections are in the shape of circles, ovals, squares, rectangles, equilateral triangles or regular polygons.
- He tested this intuition using two-dimensional plane figures - the triangle, square, pentagon, etc. - but this didn't work.
- The design radiates symmetrically from a central point and is constructed from a pattern of circles, equilateral triangles, squares, hexagons and/or six-pointed stars.
1.1A thing shaped like a triangle: a small triangle of grass
More example sentences
- Here, the ligament is assumed to be formed on an enlarging triangle that maintains its shape during growth.
- The ear ornaments in this collection are geometrically complex in design, combining squares, circles and triangles into single forms.
- It was a white triangle with a red border and a black exclamation mark inside and had to be pasted on the windshield and the back window of the cars driven by inexperienced drivers.
1.2A musical instrument consisting of a steel rod bent into a triangle and sounded by being struck with a small steel rod.
- We were given drums, triangles, maracas and tambourines to experiment with.
- As she lay trembling slightly for a long moment, not daring to breathe, she became aware of a faint humming, like the sound that a triangle makes after you strike it.
- It was the first time I ever heard a recorded triangle that didn't sound false.
1.3A frame used to position the pool balls in snooker and pool.
- He racked up a triangle of pool balls at the proper end of the table, and he began to practice his pool shots.
- This trophy, made of Waterford Crystal and in the shape of a snooker frame triangle, is a new one because the previous cup was sponsored by a tobacco company and their link with sport ended two seasons ago.
- Only the shape of the rack of balls is a triangle.
1.4North American A drawing instrument in the form of a right-angled triangle.
- Use a triangle to lay out the outline of the label, a vertical center line, and horizontal guidelines for the height of the lettering.
- Use a triangle to line those up and see that they're at right angles, then draw across them using the grid ruler.
1.5 (triangles) historical A frame of three halberds joined at the top to which a soldier was bound for flogging.
- Sage had screamed at every blow, but now hung unconscious from the triangle, while Cruttwell was taking his flogging in silence.
- For a flogging, three halberds would be bound in an upright triangle, with a fourth tied horizontally across at chest height.
2 (also eternal triangle) An emotional relationship involving a couple and a third person with whom one of them is also involved.
- In a triangle, the three relationships are interdependent; they are not three separate person-to-person dyads.
- The third person in the triangle is receiving affection and intimacy that rightfully belongs to the spouse.
- And nothing is quite so potent an activator of consciousness as a relationship triangle.
Definition of triangle in:
- US English dictionary