(Of a compound) having three rings of atoms in its molecule.
- Quinacrine is a planar tricyclic compound with structural similarities to DMMB, yet it does not absorb red light.
- In addition, all methyl sulfone containing compounds in the tricyclic class are very poorly bioavailable.
- Clomipramine was equal to desipramine and both tricyclic agents were superior to placebo for amelioration of hyperactivity.
noun(usually tricyclics) Medicine
Any of a class of antidepressant drugs having molecules with three fused rings.
- However inspection of comparative studies in fall risk between SSRIs and tricyclics suggest these two antidepressant classes exhibit similar risks of fall.
- Over half of the prescriptions were for the class antidepressants known as tricyclics, while four out of 10 were for SSRIs.
- The most commonly prescribed antidepressant medications include the tricyclics and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: tri|cyc¦lic
Definition of tricyclic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.