- 1 Zoology (In a coelenterate) a filament at the mouth of a nematocyst which triggers the emission of the stinging hair when touched.More example sentences
- At the narrow outer edge of the cnidocyte is a short trigger hair.
- When the trigger hair on the outside of a nematocyte is touched, a coiled thread tube inside the enclosed nematocyst is released.
- 2 Botany A bristle on the leaf of a Venus flytrap which triggers the closure of the leaf around an insect.More example sentences
- The first phase of the leaf closure begins when a trigger hair is disturbed.
- The flytrap features a set of inch-long, heart-shaped capture leaves, each fringed with trigger hairs and bisected by a deep fold.
- Darwin's investigation into the biology of the Venus flytrap involved testing the sensitivity of trigger hairs.
More definitions of trigger hairDefinition of trigger hair in:
- The US English dictionary