- He's also becoming addicted to hang gliding (which we'll review in due course), and he tinkers with bikes and trikes.
- All the kids go around the block driving patriotically festooned bikes and trikes.
- About 100 bikes and trikes joined the 60-mile run to meet other bikers in Blackpool, bringing the Golden Mile to a standstill.
- We know which modules need to be mixed and matched to get ratings for airplanes, trikes, gyroplanes, airships, etc.
- Though Johnson keeps busy giving lessons at his family's farm near Asotin and traveling around the country to sell ultralights, hang gliders, and trikes, he looks forward to the next project that will have him up in the air with the birds.
- I have been looking at motors for trikes since the ultralight motors from Europe are noisy and expensive.
Late 19th century: abbreviation.
bicycle from mid 19th century:
The velocipede (literally ‘rapid foot’) was the early form of bicycle, which is formed from bi- ‘two’ and Greek kuklos ‘wheel’. The abbreviation bike was not long to follow, in the late 19th century. A tricycle as a name for a three-wheeled coach drawn by two horses, dates from the 1820s, with the abbreviation trike appearing in the 1880s. Unicycle, from uni- ‘one’, was first recorded in the US in the 1860s.
Words that rhyme with trikealike, bike, haik, hike, like, mic, mike, mislike, pike, psych, psyche, shrike, spike, strike, tyke, Van Dyck, vandyke
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: trike
Definition of trike in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.