Definition of triumvirate in English:
1.1A group of three powerful or notable people or things: a triumvirate of three executive vice presidents
More example sentences
- Finally, in the last few days, IBM, the father of PC technology, has added its corporate voice to those of this powerful triumvirate.
- He provided the balance within the ruling triumvirate, holding command over the 45,000-strong army.
- Under a ruling triumvirate, no one executive has clear control.
2The office of triumvir in ancient Rome.
- In 36, Octavian defeated Pompey's son Sextus Pompeius at Naulochus, and also ousted Lepidus from the triumvirate.
- Mark Antony has been spending his time in Egypt with his mistress, Cleopatra, and neglecting his duties as part of the triumvirate of Rome.
- In the wake of his death, three men moved forward to form a new triumvirate which would punish Caesar's assassins and then divide up the Roman world.
Words that rhyme with triumvirateduumvirate
Definition of triumvirate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan