- 1A private soldier in a cavalry or armoured unit.More example sentences
- Behind the Colonel were his hand picked unit of super troopers.
- Four royal cavalry troopers in ceremonial armour and helmets took up watch around the coffin with swords drawn and heads bowed.
- At Fort Knox, the Armor Center trains troopers, tankers, and leaders from privates to colonels - over 20,000 a year, as a matter of fact.
- 1.1A cavalry horse.More example sentences
- Command Sergeant Major Kellman, your Armor / Cavalry troopers are magnificent.
- The public love to spend time, as our Adjutant so eloquently put it, talking to the horses and patting the troopers!
- 1.2chiefly British A troopship.More example sentences
- Every trooper, every transport, every ship is brought together in a massive armada for the invasion.
- He sailed on the Empire Trooper from Durban in 1943 to Bombay.
- 2chiefly US A mounted police officer.More example sentences
- It also employed black troopers in the Native Mounted Police for punitive expeditions to track down and kill resisting tribes.
- His philosophy was not relevant to wars fought earlier with different weapons and armor, or even those wars when the hand gun became the common and preferred weapon of choice for the mounted trooper.
- When he was told of his own dastardly deeds, he acted the part of an innocent bystander and watched in amusement as half a dozen troopers and police, joined by several civilians galloped off at great speed in search of the highwayman.
- 2.1US A state police officer.More example sentences
- Radar detectors do just that - detect radar beams that are being distributed from the radar guns of police officers or state troopers.
- Many speeding tickets are issued in so-called speed traps, where police officers or state troopers effectively hide their cars and lie in wait for speedy passers-by.
- The main benefit of a radar detector is to make you aware of police officers or state troopers in the area.
swear like a trooper
- Swear a great deal: his fists were clenched and he was swearing like a trooperMore example sentences
- She muttered curses and swore like a trooper throughout.
- She reportedly swore like a trooper at neighbours and staff, and put down her husband in public.
- When she speaks English she swears like a trooper - fit to make a sailor blush - but in French she's clean as a whistle.
More definitions of trooperDefinition of trooper in:
- The US English dictionary