noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A protein involved in muscle contraction. It is related to myosin and occurs together with troponin in the thin filaments of muscle tissue.More example sentences
- The addition of regulatory proteins, troponin and tropomyosin, is known to increase the sliding speed of thin filaments in the in vitro motility assay.
- Unfavorable interactions could occur at high ionic strength between adjacent tropomyosin molecules, between tropomyosin and troponin, or between other protein pairs.
- Flight muscle contraction is regulated by both stretch and Ca 2 + induced thin filament (actin + tropomyosin + troponin complex) activation.
1940s: from Greek tropos 'turning' + myosin.
More definitions of tropomyosinDefinition of tropomyosin in:
- The US English dictionary