Definition of trunnion in English:
1A pin or pivot forming one of a pair on which something is supported.
- The introduction of trunnions, the pivots in the middle of the barrel permitting it to move independently of the carriage, was a simple but important development.
- The main frame of this machine is fitted at its base with trunnions, which work in a foundation plate.
- Although the compass carries no maker's marks, it is designed to fit across the transit's trunnions and has a pin that fits a hole on the transit.
1.1A supporting cylindrical projection on each side of a cannon or mortar.
- The gun is fitted with a trunnion mounted telescopic sight for direct firing up to 3,000m.
- As with the machine-gun platform, the turntable and trunnions are intact, but the gun itself is missing.
- The barrel and breech have been salvaged, so all that remains at the top are a pair of trunnions.
early 17th century: from French trognon 'core, tree trunk', of unknown origin.
Definition of trunnion in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan