Definition of trusty in English:
adjective (trustier, trustiest)[attributive] archaic or humorous
Having served for a long time and regarded as reliable or faithful: my trusty old Morris Minor their trusty steeds
More example sentences
- I was so chuffed that I gave my old, trusty typewriter to her daughter without even a second thought.
- Our hero sat once more below the faithful tree, his trusty vial of pills in his hands, a prescribed lifeline.
- Crowd cheering, the trusty steed galloped at high speed for the winning post.
noun (plural trusties)Back to top
A prisoner who is given special privileges or responsibilities in return for good behaviour.
- He provides an evenhanded account of the continuing debate over Solzhenitsyn's stern views on the pridurki or trusties - prisoners who collaborated with the camp administration in return for various privileges.
- They have rewarded favored prisoners and made them trusties.
- From a humanitarian standpoint, this seems something like putting trusties in charge of the prison camps.
- Example sentences
- So as the beleaguered workers of the suburbs shuffle trustily into the city each weekday in the early hours, I'll be setting out from the city to the very suburbs from which they come.
- But in comparison to all the things to do and see I can trustily say it's worth it.
- The truth of the leaving reach calculation is mostly a use of the power of the transmitter's digital systems to trustily liken the four signs.
- Example sentences
- Users on average received the highest scores for niceness and trustiness, followed by coolness and sexiness.
- Let the Prime Minister present his evidence, such as it is, and save his precious trustiness for his shrink.
- Now her truthiness / trustiness gaffe has finally been rectified - this time with a full correction notice.
Words that rhyme with trustybustee, busty, crusty, dusty, fusty, gusty, lusty, musty, rusty
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan