Difficult or annoying; hard to endure: it had been a very trying day
More example sentences
- Seriously though, can anyone this side of the Orion belt say they did not expect a difficult and trying season?
- This week he said he was beginning to renew his love of the game after the trying period he has endured.
- Singaporeans are going through difficult and trying times in varying ways.
stressful, difficult, taxing, demanding, tough, hard, heavy; pressured, testing, frustrating, fraught, traumatic, arduous, gruelling; tiring, fatiguing, exhausting, wearing
informal hellish, a bitch of a, a stinker of aannoying, irritating, exasperating, maddening, infuriating; tiresome, irksome, troublesome, bothersome, vexatious
- More example sentences
- She is cheerful, well meaning and - in the eyes of nearly everyone she meets - tryingly dull.
- All this provides a certainty that messy real life so tryingly fails to.
- Of course there were the academic areas: History, Geography, tryingly presented; mythology, logic and theology were my favourites.