Definition of tube worm in English:
1A marine bristle worm, especially a fan worm, which lives in a tube made from sand particles or in a calcareous tube that it secretes.
- Families Serpulidae and Sabellidae, phylum Polychaeta
- But he cherishes the occasional feather duster, a small tube worm that opens from live rock or other housing into a red and white umbrella of feathery tentacles, sifting the water for planktonic food.
- The baleen acts as a filter or strainer retaining only the food, which the whale maneuvers with its tongue so the gammarid amphipods, tube worms, mollusks, and other bottom invertebrates can be swallowed.
- During this first dive, the team did discover a garden possibly less than one year old with tiny tube worms, mussels and clams all living together.
1.1A pogonophoran or vestimentiferan worm.
- The presence of vestimentiferan tube worm fossils in the Figueroa deposit is at odds with the supposed time of origin of the modern vestimentiferans, based on molecular data.
- The Figueroa assemblage shares gastropods and vestimentiferan tube worms with both modern and other ancient vent communities, but is unique in containing rhynchonellide brachiopods.
- ONE OF the most conspicuous groups of animals living in deep-sea chemosynthetic communities at hydrothermal vents are large vestimentiferan tube worms.
Definition of tube worm in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan