Definition of tubercle in English:
1 Anatomy , Zoology , & Botany A small rounded projection or protuberance, especially on a bone or on the surface of an animal or plant.
- The blood supply of the scaphoid comes from the radial artery, feeding the bone on the dorsal surface near the tubercle and scaphoid waist.
- Its fibers pass dorsally from an extensive anterior attachment to insert on the pharyngeal raphe, the pharyngeal tubercle of the occipital bone.
- A terminal segment includes a tubercle that projects dorsally and an anus.
2 Medicine A small nodular lesion in the lungs or other tissues, characteristic of tuberculosis.
- When this happens, the bacteria become encapsulated in tiny tubercles (round lesions) usually in the lungs which may be seen on a chest X-ray.
- Responding to the invasion, macrophages may huddle with other immune cells to form little nodules called granulomas, or tubercles.
- Tuberculoma is a mass of granulation tissue made up of a conglomeration of microscopic small tubercles.
- sense 1.Example sentences
- In the first stage, ribs are strong and tuberculate and the whorl section is subtrapezoidal with divergent sides.
- The outer surface of the egg is finely tuberculate.
- However, it is characterized by short genal and pleural spines, a tuberculate surface texture, and a relatively broad tail spine with a diagnostic median cleft, none of which are seen in Quasimodaspis.
Definition of tubercle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.