Definition of tubercle in English:
1 Anatomy , Zoology , & Botany A small rounded projection or protuberance, especially on a bone or on the surface of an animal or plant.
- The blood supply of the scaphoid comes from the radial artery, feeding the bone on the dorsal surface near the tubercle and scaphoid waist.
- Its fibers pass dorsally from an extensive anterior attachment to insert on the pharyngeal raphe, the pharyngeal tubercle of the occipital bone.
- A terminal segment includes a tubercle that projects dorsally and an anus.
2 Medicine A small nodular lesion in the lungs or other tissues, characteristic of tuberculosis.
- When this happens, the bacteria become encapsulated in tiny tubercles (round lesions) usually in the lungs which may be seen on a chest X-ray.
- Responding to the invasion, macrophages may huddle with other immune cells to form little nodules called granulomas, or tubercles.
- Tuberculoma is a mass of granulation tissue made up of a conglomeration of microscopic small tubercles.
- sense 1.Example sentences
- In the first stage, ribs are strong and tuberculate and the whorl section is subtrapezoidal with divergent sides.
- The outer surface of the egg is finely tuberculate.
- However, it is characterized by short genal and pleural spines, a tuberculate surface texture, and a relatively broad tail spine with a diagnostic median cleft, none of which are seen in Quasimodaspis.
Definition of tubercle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia