noun[mass noun] chiefly Biology
- The formation or presence of tubercles, especially of a specified type: more derived species possess three lateral ridges and increased tuberculation of the carapaceMore example sentences
- The South American A. patriciae has spines more similarly placed to those of A. beetsi than to the new species, and its dorsal internal tuberculation forms a more distinctive bilobed pattern; it closely resembles A. aff. patriciae.
- Margin of carapace demarcated with a broad shelf; edges characterized with rather coarse tuberculation that fades toward anterolateral and orbital margin field.
- Coarse bifurcating ribs and tuberculation have been interpreted as a defensive measure; either by strengthening the shell or by providing visual camouflage.
More definitions of tuberculationDefinition of tuberculation in:
- The US English dictionary