noun[mass noun] North American & Australian /NZ
- A plant of arid regions which breaks off near the ground in late summer, forming light globular masses which are tumbled about by the wind.
More example sentences
- Genera Salsola (family Chenopodiaceae) and Amaranthus (family Amaranthaceae)
- He enters the classroom in a blinding heavenly light, to the accompaniment of whistling winds and rolling tumbleweed that usually accompanies Clint Eastwood in a spaghetti western.
- Even tumbleweed can't go on blowing down dusty streets for ever.
- Charles half expected to hear at once sharp cracks of sticks and tumbleweed, to which he would coax himself were just tree squirrels, or other creatures.
More definitions of tumbleweedDefinition of tumbleweed in:
- The US English dictionary