Definition of tuner in English:
1A person who tunes musical instruments, especially pianos.
- After graduating from the school for the blind, Zhang first tried to work at a local piano factory as a tuner but the long travelling time from his home to the factory forced him to drop the job.
- The implication is that such fine tuning implies an intelligent tuner.
- The night before the tuner was due to tune, I was out with friends in Shoreditch.
1.1An electronic device for tuning a guitar or other instrument.
- The use of metronomes, electronic tuners or other mechanical devices will not be allowed during the contestant's performance.
- A digital tuner is useful for teachers of certain instruments, and a tape recorder allows students to tape and listen to their own playing.
- A built-in tuner allows for the precise tuning of instruments via the built-in microphone, or through an external microphone.
1.2An electronic device for varying the frequency to which a radio or television is tuned.
- There are a number of products that employ unused FM radio frequencies to send music from your PC to any device with a radio tuner.
- Most amps have a radio tuner built in, giving them that added functionality.
- Remixing sometimes sounds like twiddling the radio tuner rapidly through different stations.
1.4A person who tunes car engines or other machines.
- Her dad, Dave James, was an engine tuner and she'd seen enough oily chains and carburettors at her home in Stockport to last her a lifetime.
- Import restrictions and greater familiarity with Japanese engines has prompted American tuners to use the Honda VTEC powerplant though.
- To my utter amazement, after discussing various engine tuners, Clive offered to ask John Oliver in person if he would do the refurbishment.
Definition of tuner in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan