Definition of turnpike in English:
1 historical A toll gate.
1.1 (also turnpike road) A road on which a toll was collected at a toll gate.
- It was apparently built as a toll house on the old turnpike road between York and Scarborough.
- The average length of a turnpike road was 30 miles, and the number of trustees varied from 15 to 237.
- It used to take four hours to get to London by coach along the turnpike road.
2 historical A spiked barrier fixed in or across a road or passage as a defence against sudden attack.
- Half the horses in London never see a turnpike gate.
- The formation of drains beside and beneath turnpikes, an important facet of road construction, has received little comment in contemporary sources.
Definition of turnpike in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan