noun[mass noun] • informal
- Turpentine.More example sentences
- Almost complete, Honister dominates a studio where massive brushes await the maestro's stroke and heavy smells of linseed oil and turps fill the still hot afternoon air.
- Her eyes challenged me, potent, like a peregrine falcon's, but the beguiling scent of turps and linseed oil drew me to her canvas.
- The night Vine painted her now infamous Diana painting, the air was thick with the smell of turps, linseed oil and paint.
early 19th century: abbreviation.
More definitions of turpsDefinition of turps in:
- The US English dictionary