A burrowing mollusc with a slender tusk-shaped shell, which is open at both ends and typically white, and a three-lobed foot.
- Class Scaphopoda, in particular the genus Dentalium
More example sentences
- The Scaphopoda are a distinctive group of molluscs commonly known as the ‘tusk shells’ because their shells are conical and slightly curved to the dorsal side, making the shells look like tiny tusks.
- There are approximately 900 species of Scaphopoda, commonly called tusk shells.
- In bivalves, chitons, tusk shells and some snails, sperm and eggs are released into the water and fertilisation is external.
Definition of tusk shell in:
- The US English dictionary