- Denoting a system of musical composition using the twelve chromatic notes of the octave on an equal basis without dependence on a key system. Developed by Arnold Schoenberg, the technique is central to serialism and involves the transposition and inversion of a fixed sequence of pitches.More example sentences
- I could move toward total serialization, or I could move toward some reunderstanding of the chromatic situation in twelve-tone music.
- Inversion of a row or series of notes is fundamental to twelve-note, or serial, music.
- The Schoenbergians and Webernistes didn't fit him all that well (his own twelve-tone music derived from Stravinsky and Copland).
More definitions of twelve-noteDefinition of twelve-note in:
- The US English dictionary