- Hey, not all kids are irrepressible, mischievous, restless tykes!
- Whilst trying to make the melodies inaccessible, these cheeky tykes from Ozzy's old home city have only gone and made them all the more appealing.
- Adults dig the clever scripts and inside jokes, while little tykes think the girls are adorable and thrill to their fast-paced adventures.
- It traces Little League to its roots in 1939 and offers lots of photos and displays of uniforms and caps worn by tyke players over the years.
- These tiny lads were barely past tyke stage and were costumed in huge, puffy, fuzzy, brightly colored bee suits with little matching caps and antennae.
- This spunky St-Michel tyke has been working the local wrestling circuit for the past five years and has been fanatical about pro-wrestling since childhood.
- But as the years went on and he started receiving close to 1,000 spam e-mails a day, this determined tyke decided to take action.
- Sweet making giant Cadbury has been accused of tampering with the taste buds of Yorkshire tykes.
- The secret's out, as the 4,000 sweaty Mancs who witness the Yorkshire tykes triumph will tell you.
- if you want to meet and network with your fellow Yorkshire tykes then join the Yorkshire academy here
The word tyke (from Old Norse tík ‘bitch’) was first a term for a dog, especially a mongrel. It quickly became a rough man and then a Yorkshire tyke, ‘a person from Yorkshire’, before being used as an affectionate term for a cheeky child. In Australia and New Zealand tyke is an offensive term for a Roman Catholic. This is an alteration of Taig, a Northern Ireland Protestant's insulting name for a Catholic, from the Irish name Tadhg, which has been used since the 17th century as a nickname for an Irishman.
Words that rhyme with tykealike, bike, haik, hike, like, mic, mike, mislike, pike, psych, psyche, shrike, spike, strike, trike, Van Dyck, vandyke
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: tyke
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.